9/6/07

Chai Latte Mix

I love tea a pretty serious amount. Like, for real, for realz love it. I've had entire conversations dedicated to my love of tea, and I'm talking about hour long conversations. So when a recipe to make chai latte appeared in a random cookbook I was looking at, I couldn't pass it up.
It's pretty good, although I recommend leaving the pepper out. I added the pepper and it made the mix a little too hot in a spicy way. But otherwise it's fine.
Ingredients:
2 ½ tps. Ground ginger
2 tsp. Ground cinnamon
¾ tsp. Ground cloves
¾ tsp. Ground cardamom (optional)
1 tsp. Ground allspice
1 tsp. Ground nutmeg
½ tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ cups unsweetened instant tea or decaffeinated instant tea
1 ½ to 2 Cups sugar
1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 cup powdered nondairy creamer
1 cup French Vanilla flavored powdered nondairy creamer

Directions:

Combine spices and tea in a food processor or blender. Blend 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture becomes a fine powder. Pour into a large bowl. Add sugar to food processor or blender (without cleaning it), and process about 30 seconds. Add sugar to bowl of spices. Stir in milk powder and creamers; blend well.

To serve, stir 2 heaping tbsp. Chai Tea Mix into a mug of hot milk or boiling water

The recipes came with the following additions and things, and while I can't vouch for them, it is making me consider making some vanilla ice cream so I can check out that Chai Shake.

Chocolate Chai Mix: Add ½ cup unsweetened cocoa along with dry milk powder to the blend above. Follow serving directions above (They recommend milk here)

Chai Shake: Blend ¼ cup Chai Tea Mix, 1 cup milk, and 3 ½ cups vanilla ice cream in a blender

White Chocolate Chai: Add ¼ cup finely chopped premium white chocolate (such as Lindt or Ghiradelli)
To 1 cup Chai Tea Mix. Stir well. Follow serving directions above with 2 heaping Tbsp. Per cup of hot milk or boiling water.

No comments: